Disclaimer: The AKAFP is providing resources, not offering advice on Covid 19.
Monoclonal Antibody treatment in Alaska
Many communities in Alaska have received monoclonal antibody therapy for the early treatment of symptomatic COVID-19 disease.
The Alaska Airlines Center at UAA has opened as an infusion center for the administration of the monoclonal antibody for Anchorage residents.
Physicians outside the Anchorage area should contact their local hospital. Rural hospitals have received allocations of monoclonal antibody infusions and are managing administration in various different ways. Your local hospital is your best resource.
Additional resources and referral form below.
On May 3, the SBA issued updated FAQs to address borrower and lender questions concerning the implementation of the Paycheck Protection Program. This program makes loan opportunities of up to $10 million available for organizations with fewer than 500 total employees or which meet other criteria. These loans may be forgiven if at least 75% of the proceeds are used for payroll costs, among other terms.
On May 3 the Dept. of Labor issued additional guidance about Short-Time Compensation Program provisions related to COVID-19.
On May 4, FEMA announced $200 million in CARES Act funding to support local jurisdictions provide resources to people with economic emergencies, including hungry and homeless populations.
On May 4, the FDA updated nonbinding recommendations for COVID-19 tests for clinical laboratories, commercial manufacturers, and FDA staff during the pandemic. It supersedes a similar FDA document issued March 16.
On May 4, the NIH issued a press release discussing a study to determine incidence of COVID-19 in U.S. children.
On May 5, CMS updated FAQs related to COVID-19 for Medicaid and CHIP agencies.
On May 5, the NIH director posted a blog about research in COVID-19.
On May 5, the VA announced enhancements to its National COVID-19 Reporting Summary tool to provide a real-time look at the status of COVID-19 patients tested or treated at VA facilities.
Recent internal CDC slides indicate that the COVID-19 pandemic will likely last two years.
The CDC recently published a document establishing preliminary standards for digital COVID-19 contact-tracing tools.
Amidst COVID-19 Crisis, ASAM Releases Updated National Practice Guideline for Treating Opioid Use Disorder
Doxy Me Simple Free Telemedicine Solution
Advanced Care and Palliative Care
- Communication guide for complex issues: Vital Talk is a group of communication specialists – can share with office staff, especially phone staff and nursing team- https://www.vitaltalk.org/guides/covid-19-communication-skills/
- Symptom management guide CAPC COVID Symptom Management Protocol comes from the center to advance palliative care.
- Shared Decision Making tool (Planning with high risk patients and may guide serious ill to choose home care option if preferred) https://www.nhpco.org/wp-content/uploads/COVID-19-Shared-Decision-Making-Tool.pdf
- ICU shared decision making guide for a patient considering life support (help discussion of hospitalized patient pre ICU) https://patientdecisionaid.org/covid19/
- Covid Advance care planning that office team can share with patients for self completion: https://prepareforyourcare.org/covid-19
- Adv Care Planning Guide for use with high risk patients for clinician: Brief COVID Goals of Care Guide for Outpatients at High Risk, adapted by SFVA Palliative Care
Medication Assistance for Patients:
- Medicine Assistance Tool – a search engine designed to help patients, caregivers and health care providers discover available resources. Many companies have recently expanded their assistance programs due to COVID-19
- Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease – informational resources for high risk groups
- Kaiser Family Foundation– map that shows which states have taken “health policy actions” including waiving cost sharing, early refills, etc.
- Stateside– list by state of recent state actions, legislative and executive
- National Governors Association– list of state actions, including an essential business tracker
- National Conference of State Legislators– legislature-focused actions
- The Commonwealth Fund– private insurance changes by states
- Council of State Governments– wide-ranging tools, governors and legislatures
- Milkin Institute COVID-19 Treatment Tracker – information on potential treatments & vaccines in development
- Chamber of Commerce – essential workforce items
Mental Health Resources
Suicide prevention from AAFP
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Ohio AFP – Joy Among Chaos
AAFP Focus on Physician Well-being
Mental Health America resources on COVID-19