Alaska Academy of Family Physicians
2017 – 2019 Strategic Plan
Approved by the Alaska Academy of Family Physicians Board
The mission of AK AFP is to improve the health of our patients, their families, and the Alaskan people; to advance and represent the specialty of family medicine; and to serve with professionalism and creativity the unique needs of our members.
Areas of Focus
Promote Family Medicine Wellbeing
Goal 1: Promote physician wellbeing as both an individual and employer responsibility.
- Survey members on what they and their employers are doing to address wellbeing and promote best practices
- Goal 2: Promote alternative practice strategies.
- 2017 – Team Based Care
- Goal 3: Incorporate wellbeing into educational programing, newsletters, website and other member communication.Establish and Promote AK AFP Member Value
Goal 1: Create a robust and member driven educational effort (CME, MoC).
- Explore avenues for delivering education and CME (webinars, podcasts, video conferencing.
- Goal 2: Establish measures for determining member satisfaction.
Goal 3: Assist members with AAFP relations and opportunities
Goal 4: Keep members informed of member value efforts and opportunities.Promote Family Medicine Advocacy
Goal 1: Become the voice of family medicine for members and their patients.
Goal 2: Grow and maintain a family medicine workforce.
Goal 3: Promote payment reform for family medicine at both the state and federal level.
Goal 4: Promote family medicine to the public and legislators though education and networking.
Goal 5: Move to proactive legislative advocacy by taking positions on proposed legislation and communicating with legislators and regulators.
- Create measures for advocacy impact.
- Organize a FM advocacy day.
Promote, Recruit and Retain an AK Family Medicine Workforce
Goal 1: Nurture and develop Family Medicine leaders.
- Create opportunities for board members to routinely identify and ask members to become involved.
- Goal 2: Support members who provide a full spectrum of care to those whose practice is more specialized or focused in a specific area of care
Goal 3: Provide workforce support and resources to members, pre med students, medical students and residents.
Goal 4: Identify opportunities and funding to send students to the national conference.